August 10, 2007

» Lessons from Barbie & Ken

You don't have to be perfect.
The only perfect people are plastic people.

The main idea that Four Corners Church (www.4cornerschurch.com/) used these pics were to relate that perfect people wer not allowed in churches. Their purpose was that:

"...So-called perfect images barrage us everyday but
it leaves us empty and disillusioned..."

Let me add by saying:
Churches are for imperfect people. People that don't have it together. People that don't have the perfect family, or the perfect situation.


→ Have You ever been expected to be Perfect?
Yes, just because we serve a Perfect God, people seem to think that we should be perfect as well. And when it hurst and you cry, people ask the same question they asked David.
Psalm 42:3


"My tears have been my food
day and night,
while men say to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"


"Tony, I thought you had it all figured out, what hapenned?"
"Brother Tony, I knew it was not going to work."
"Hey bro, where is God when you need Him?"

→ Do People expect your Family to be Perfect?
You guys that have only one sibling, you'll have it easy... I have 2 parents, 1 brother, and 2 sisters... Now, tell me, what are the chances of us failing more than yours? Haha... just kidding. But for real, it does not matter how many family members you have... people still want you to be perfect.

Allow me to speak from my heart... I know what it is like and I will not hide.


I remember when my father failed. The strong one. The head of the household. I won't go into detail here and this is not to single him out. I am his son and I love him. But I remember the people. Separation. No telephone calls now. Once a great usher in the church, now an outcast. Once a tremendous small group leader, now a reject in people's eyes. Once "perfect", now with weaknesses. (And remember this was in church!).

People raised an eyebrow at us... People whispered... because my father had shown them a patch of dark brown dying grass in his field of green grass... One mistake can change the perspective of people.

Can you relate to this? Can you stop hiding and be set free by speaking about your weaknesses?

These are the scriptures that helped me and they will help you too.
2 Corinthians 12:9


"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you,
for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,
so that Christ's power may rest on me."

This one is good too.
2 Corinthians 12:10

"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses,
in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.
For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Tomorrow, I will talk about another area where most of the people try to be perfect. It may amuse you... so check it out.

What have you been battling with? What are your imperfectioons. Don't be too specific, though.

Haha!


No really, is it Money. Temptation. Emotions. Relationships... Whatever.

I know you are reading this. I know you clicked the link that brought you to this site. I invite you to participate. Please share.


Dont hide. Change.

Be set free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaah... the disillusionment of an imperfection is the stumbling rock in the lives of aall human kind. Whether one believes that their God is perfect and they should portray and try to achieve that same image is a problem they will sooner or later realize is not worth solving. We all fall; it is the nature of us humans. For the statements you said are true, but why compare it to plastic Barbie dolls? You could hve related the topic to something a bit more reasonable, such as Utopia, the perfect world where there is no room for eror, wher everything is beautiful and perfect. Although it is a fictional island. You see Mr. Villatoro, I happen to believe that the Christianity faith is a lonesome battle in which one cannot rely on another person to fortify the soil in where they stand. As for the topic of weakness: discussing about one's life is what makes experiences worth something; it is what unites us. Living and coming across life's difficult circumstances as you mentioned in your blog about your father, makes you and a thousand others feel only but sympathy for their situation. How many times do we sympathize with those who are going through hardships? Yet, we remain in silence because of fear that others will know our innermost "imperfections." When it comes down to the judgmental and insecure church members, it is a sign of religiosity. What else than a relegion, can justify their opinions and a feeling of superiority? Catholicism shows the hierarchy in churches as well as many other denominations. What gives any man the right to judge the actions of another? Reverend, Pastor, Minister or not, we dont have that divine right. God placed them there to guide us because we make mistakes. And as you said, we are not writing our thoughts to debate, we write to get our points across. Yes, we have a testimony to take care of but we have a soul to save, our own. IF we don't save ourselves and stop living in denial, how will we wver come across the truth? Now, when you say, "Share your imperfections and weaknesses but don't give so much detail..." My question is, why not?On my behalf, in order to change one's life, one has to be descriptive in what they say. Not in a manner to tempt or to pervert, but in a manner to relate and grasp the attention. As a soul saver, we sometimes have to view the persperctives from both inside and out the box. Inside the box, is the church, where there are no errors(supposedly said) and where we have a dress code to follow, eyeballing all those who dont look like us and act like us. Then there is outside the box, a world that has either no knowledge of, or a few knowledge of the Christian faith. WE have to know where people comefrom, and in order for us to accomplish that, we have to speak in a detailed manner. Changing lives means giving descriptions and a possible resolutions and alternatives with that struggle. Various examples are given in the bible: David struggling with lust and adultery, his thoughts and his actions, as well as the consequences, how he got back up in his relationship with God. Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. Mary, the prostitute. Saul, infuriated and envious of David; the bible describes his plans to destroy him. The most famous one of all, Satan, filled with his pride and ego.
Everyone has a story to tell, everyone has their weakness... We've been taught to maintain our mouths shut when it comes to blasphemy and sin... I say, go on ahead and talk about it if it's going to save a soul. If we don't reach out to the people because we are scared to hit delicate topic such as these, there will be others who wiil, and along with it , eventually lead them to paths of destruction. In the end, I encourage you to keep going and remain strong in everything you do.
God Bless You...

Tony said...

Hello Anonymous, (i just wish you had left your name, really).
Thank you for your interesting comment(pretty long,no? hehe). Seems to me like you got a lot to say. I suppose you have a blog.. leave me the link, I would like to read it.
Why Barbie dolls? Well, to me at the time of this writing, that's what came to mind...
As for sympathy for my father... please don't spare any. I don't need it. If you did not get it, the main idea was to get those 2 scriptures in 2 Corinthians 12 and apply it to personal weaknesses and family imperfections.
And finally, you said in your comment that, "in your behalf,in order to change one's life, one has to be descriptive in what they say..." I believe that, and I also believe that we have to create an atmosphere and a place where people can slowly feel safe to speak about their imperfections. Slowly. Little by little, my dear anonymous reader.

Oh, I almost forgot... At the end of tihs blog I asked, "What are you battling with? What are your imperfections?"
In your comment, I never saw anything answering that question.

You said, "Everyone has a story to tell..."
I did not see your story... Once again, I will ask, "What is your story?"

Thank you for the comment. Enjoy the next post.