August 7, 2007

» "This is your Home?" Really?

Oh My God! (is that OMG?!)

It's unbelievable how religious church people still think. If you don't know yet, I recently moved from Centro Amistad Cristiano to Church of Champions. And in the transition of moving churches, I visited a couple of churches during that time. I was shocked to see the response of the people when I visited their churches. Everybody, and I mean, absolutely everybody that I would talk to would nod their heads, rub my back, and say, "This is your home."At first, I thought it was touching, but after dozens of people telling me that their church was my home... I started to frown.

Why is it that church people do that? It's a kind gesture, yes. Don't get me wrong. But I believe that these people have been trained that everybody and their mom... dad, sister and brother should go to their church. They are so proud of their church. Their church is the only one that has the truth... their church has the best ministry... on and on and on. I thought the same way. I thought that everybody should come to my church. This mentality that "if you don't come to my church, then you are not in the will of God." You know what that causes: DISUNITY! That's why churches, in my area, are so divided. Because they are the best, they say. I thought the same way. But after some humbling experiences, I found out that some people will not and are not meant to be in one particular church.

Whoa! What a revelation! Hey, if somebody in your church cannot receive, give them a list of 5 other churches that they can go to... just so they won't be lost. Just because they don't go to your church does not mean they are not saved (Oh man, I'm stepping on some toes. I will stop).

I mean, I would love for you to come to my church. But, if you can't understand the message well in my church, then go to another church (one that has the truth, of course). If you can't get used to my gospel worship and prefer Contemporary worship, then go to another church (that was just an example). I don't mind. I just need you to be saved and be serving somewhere.

(Oh, for the record, I love Fred Hammond's music as much as I love Chris Tomlin's. And also, Jesus Adrian Romero).

So for the visitors that will show up to your church this Sunday, don't just tell them, "This is your home." As a matter of fact, don't tell them nothing at all. You know what you should do? Here are a couple of suggestions:
-Take them out to Chili's.
-Take them to go see Rush Hour 3...
-Become their friend in Myspace.
-Take them to Starbucks.
-Show them the love of Jesus.

I believe that a church should be a home. I believe that we are a family! But, I dislike the attitude of one church being the best church. Strive to be in a church that sets the example of a true apostolic church, not a church that appears to be the best but has so many inperfections on the inside.

What do you have to say?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

man tony, you are really something else dude! i loved it! loved it, loved it! take them to go watch rush hour three, that has got to be the funniest thing ever... but in every aspect of this blog, i have to agree with you! i see you're getting back on your feet! im glad for ya! take care and keep them blogs coming...lol

-nana-

Anonymous said...

hey tony wut up?!? man, i've notice that you are really touched and i mean big time... your blogs have made think for a whil and its true, i mean life has a purpose for anyone right? and we just got reach for it! and i agree with it, my congrats to you Tony, you're making us proud! Gos bless you brother! and them blogs coming!

Anonymous said...

thats sooper true.
every church does have their own thing.
in saying they are THE ONE.
but only God knows..
this was awesome.
i'm glad to see that some eyes are being opened.
God Bless!

Tony said...

thanks nana for you comment. have i ever been off my feet? haha! j/k...
Sound of Silence, yes... reach for your purpose. God has one for everybody.
Sandra...I agree with you... some eyes are being opened.. we just have to say something.Let's change.
Thank you all.

Anonymous said...

hey tony, you know,
the other day i was thinking...
(oh, this is like an add-on to your blog)
Anyway, i was thinking...
We all know that if you are
living the life of a true christian,
you will be saved, right?
Then why do people always ask
your pastor's name?
How come they never ask for
the church name?
Does it really matter?
If you are living the life
God wants you to live,
you don't go to anybody else's church,
but God's church.
It gets annoying, doesn't it?
Okay bye, i liked your blog.

Tony said...

I hear you! and I hear you well..

So many people ask for your pastor's name. I think it's because pastors have become celebrities to the people. Famous figures.. How about this? Envision a church with 1 lead pastor and 3 or 4 other pastors having almost the same authority and all of them being servants of God. That's unheard of. Why? Because we can't even grow a church to 1,000 people, I mean 700 people. (Whoops). But how about it? We need to change.

And about going to somebody else's church... I say this, Church is for the lost! Saved people go to church to be equipped, but also to serve and to do ministry, I have found out that a church has to balance every ministry to be a healthy church. The only person that can balance that is the lead pastor and his staff. Check this: If the pastor is always preaching on marital issues, and you have a burden to evangelize. And while you are driving, you find a church that believes what you believe and are having "campaƱas" every month. I think you would be better off there.
Your God-given gift will be used.
You won't be siiting at church frustrated with a gift that could be used, but it's not being used.(I'm no expert in any measure, but this is merely my opinion).

I think it starts at the top, if you know what I mean. Pastors and leaders need to balance ministries in a way that people's gifts are being used. If not, people will look for a place where God will get the glory for His gifts.

Man, this was long. I should have made it another post.
I appreciate your comment tho..
That's how I learn... by listening to the people.

Thanks sis.

Anonymous said...

no, you have never been off your feet tony man! i admire that!

nana

Esther said...

Tha blog got me, you are making a difference. Thank you Tonny V. Its a great opportunity to read about your ideas in God.

Anonymous said...

Wow tony, i read ALL of ur blogs on this page.... it's a lot, but yes, i've learned from them, from what you have to say. some of the stuff is tough but it's true, and you can't lie or write something just to please others, SAY IT LIKE IT IS MAN!lol

mayra

Tony said...

Thank you Esther for reading them... I hope you are well.

Mayra! Thanks for your comments.. Keep serving God..