August 23, 2007

» Sight vs. Perception

A lot of people make decisions based on what they see... or for that matter on what they feel. I have done things sometimes that I would not do a week later. Can anybody relate?
Have you heard those people that got a divorce, and now they say, "I am seeing some good things that I never saw in him/her."
Have you heard of people that had quit their jobs, and now are saying, "You know, I wish I would still be working there."
This is why... because they were being led by what they were seeing... but they were not perceiving.

You see... Sight and Perception are two different things.
This scripture comes to mind, where it says,
"We live by faith, not by sight."
Thank God.
Imagine if we would walk by sight. Well, do I have news for you, we mostly walk by sight.

And to those who want to go back and fix their mistake of walking by sight... it's sometimes too late.

  • You left them because you could not stand him/her (because of what you saw), but after perceiving it, you try to go back to them... and now they have moved on with their lives.
  • You quit your job because there is a better opportunity somewhere else (because of what you saw), but after perceiving it, you try to go and re-apply... and now they don't want to hire you back.
In reality, your perception does not come from your sight. It comes mostly from your hearing. (Uh-oh... here goes Tony making these weird claims. haha!)
I went to dictionary.com and got the definition of perception. It says:
PERCEPTION: The act or faculty of apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.
I also went to the bible for this one...
Isaiah 64:4
"Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf
of those who wait for him."
It says... No EAR HAS PERCEIVED!
You can say what you want or disagree with me, but in this scripture you have to understand that perception was done with the sense of hearing...
Which takes me to another point...
I hope you are ready.
Romans 10:17
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
So... when you want to make decisions from what you see... let time pass. Let your sight get so blurry that you have to hear the word of God... to receive FAITH... and you will be able to make decisons based on FAITH. Those decisions will be good ones, because they will be birthed:
  • Out of PERCEPTION not just SIGHT.
  • Out of FAITH not just FEAR.
  • Out of what you HEAR from God, not what you SEE others doing.

God, I want to preach!

No, not yet.

Like my friend Joel Valencia used to say, "Bro, they are not ready."

Haha. Just Kidding.

No comments: