September 22, 2008

Fema Pod on Saturday.


What a weekend!

I tell you, when you have electricity in your house... when your TV works, when you can charge your phone, when you can flick the light switch on and the light comes on in your closet, we sometimes forget what it is not to have that luxury. Well, because of Hurricane Ike, my family and millions of other homes in the Southern part of Texas did not have that luxury. We were without power for 6 days, until all the lights came on Friday around 2 AM. Thanks Jesus.

Saturday morning, I decided to go to a FEMA POD and help out by passing ice. I loved it. Its priceless the look on people's faces because they are getting a couple of bags of ICE.

I got to meet so many people that were volunteers. I met a guy that his power had not even been turned on and he decided to come out and help.

I met 2 Hispanic guys that were there volunteering and went to Lakewood Church (Spanish service, of course).

To see so many cultures and races... so many types of people with different backgrounds really sets your perception on another level concerning "your community."

I think I will do it again this Saturday coming up.
Wanna join me?

Let's see if they have the PODs up this weekend... then we'll go.

No comments: