October 6, 2007

»DANCE, DANCE, DANCE!!! (Dancing in Church-Part 1)

Ok... here we go... breaking man-made traditions and installing what Jesus wants for His church. It's all in the bible... It's not about your ideas, what feels good or what your grandma taught you. It's what the Holy Spirit led men of God to write down, so that today we can have a biblical model of how to do things. I love this!

So... I got a comment asking me this question:
"You see, here where I work there are 2 chicks and they dont believe in dancing (like in church) because it's not in the spirit and because David didn't dance in the church, he danced on the way to church... That dancing isn't from God because it's your flesh moving to a beat.... Can you help me?"
Ok... good question, Of course I can help. Let me help.
First of all, I am not a liberal to tell you not to worship, I will encourage you to worship Jesus, but also I am not so legalistic as to tell you there is only ONE WAY to worship. Meaning this, the Bible lets us know of a lot of ways on how to worship. Some worship sitting down, meditating on His goodnes. Some worship standing up. Some worship with arms raised and some worship with their voice. Some even worship laying on the floor. All these ways of worship are biblical and have a Bible scripture for them. BUT, DO NOT CRITICIZE SOMEONE THAT IS NOT WORSHIPPING YOUR PREFERRED WAY. Respect their style. It was hard for me, because I come from a very charismatic background where if I don't see you flying around the sanctuary on a rope... you are not of God and you are backslidden. What a mistake! I repented and Jesus has forgiven me! Hehe.

Furthermore, I believe that you have to worship Jesus. We were created by Him and FOR Him... It is a MUST that we worship Jesus. The Bible says:
John 4:24
"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."
Now, some people mistake this and say that you cannot dance or clap or MOVE in a service because you are doing it with your flesh.

If anybody tells you that, ask them to do this for me:
Ask them to tell their pastor that they will go to Sunday Service in their Spirit and they will tell their flesh to stay home. So they can be more "spiritual," take it a little bit farther, ask them to not go to their services in their flesh and not show up to the church for the rest of the year. Let's see what the pastor has to say...

Just Kidding.
Don't be mean.

Anyways, back to the "Teaching."
Lets get some bible in here please.
Psalm 149:1-3
"(1)Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
(2)Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
(3)Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp..."

Whoa, homie... You can read that again!
It clearly states that that they would be in the congregation of the saints (that sounds like church to me) and they would praise His name in dance. WOW. Shocking, right?
Ok. Read the whole chapter (Psalm 149) and start praising Jesus. Maybe dance a bit. I love His Word!

Let's read more Bible... Now, this is not me making this up... Open your bible and read with me the famous Psalm 150. And it goes a little like this.
Psalm 150:1-4
"(1)Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
(2)Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
(3)Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
(4)Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs."

Ok... It cannot any clearer than this.
Verse 1 lets me know that they will praise him... WHERE?!
IN THE SANCTUARY...
They will paise Him... HOW?!
Many ways... but to understand the reason for this post... check out verse 4.
"(4)Praise him with the timbrel and dance."
Forget about the trimbel right now. Do a word study on that later... just notice that it says that you will praise God in His sanctuary with... dance!

That's it! It's over! I dare you to stand up and DANCE! Hehe! I'm feeling that old song that says:
"Has cambiado mi lamento en baile!
Me ceñiste de alegria
Por eso a ti cantare gloria mia
Y nunca estare callado."
Oh, come on you don't know about that! That was some old time religion that got the people started back in the day... and they danced, shouted, cried, jumped... oh, how I rememmber!

Those were the days were all the songs that were sung came out of reading Scripture... and YES that is a verse.
Salmos 30:11
"Has cambiado mi lamento en baile; Desataste mi cilicio, y me ceñiste de alegría."

For you english speakers...
Psalm 30:11
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; You have loosed my sackcloth and girded me with gladness,"

If you don't dance, its ok. I understand. You say you are not a person that demostrates feelings... Let me see you with a lottery ticket worth 1 Million dollars in your hand that you barely won.
I bet you will dance.
No? Come on... don't lie to yourself. You know you will.

So, Jesus gave you eternal life. Dance.
If you still don't want to, its ok. I said I understand. I'll respect you. Just worship Jesus. Hehe.

Lemme dance a bit.
I'm out..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, that was awesome! i enjoyed every word, tony!!! :D
yeah, i told her that everyone praises differently but sister over here was attacking me cuz we were "wrong"... but thanks you a bunch! cant wait for part 2, that i'm about to read