February 4, 2008

»Hope for a Religious city.

Today I met a lawyer.

I was at Starbucks today reading Ed Stetzer's "Planting Missional Churches." It is such a good read on church planting. While reading the book, I saw this well dressed guy, maybe in his late 30s early 40s, sit in the table in front of me. He took out a bible and a book.

I glanced every so often and saw him highlighting and writing in his bible. So, I decided to get to know him a bit. What? I'm kind of friendly... I said "kind of." Hehe.

It turns out that he was not a pastor or a "minister" at a church. He was a lawyer and was on his break... reading the bible. It totally gave me hope. Seriously, this guy has a carreer and is reading the bible... not only reading, but studying the Bible!
Who does that in their lunch hour?

I felt like the prophet Elijah when he cried out, almost giving up, thinking that he was the only one that was left of the prophets. Hehe. God told Elijah not to worry, He had 700 other prophets that had not bowed to the false god Baal. Wow!
It was a good conversation. He helps kids in foster homes. He takes them in and cares for them with his wife. He has 4 children right now. He shared his heart with me for children in foster homes. Awesome. I love to meet people that are doing and attempting to do something for the community.
We talked about church planting...
-How we need to have a church that transforms the community and not only meets on Sundays.
-How we need a church that transform people's lives and not only puts a good show on Sundays.

The conversation gave me hope!
In a city where Religiosity rules over people's lives... there is an army of people that want to step outside of the box and let Jesus have His way.

I know there are many people like that in this city (Houston), I wish I could get to know you.
Whether you be a lawyer or a kid that wants to plant a church.
Comment me, email me, call me.
Let's get some hot white chocolate mochas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would still love to get together again. Let me know when you're up for it.