July 13, 2009

My future father-in-law and me.

It's Monday...
What do you expect?
Not one of my favorite days at this time of my life.. Maybe later, because I'll probably have it off.. (that's the pastor in me talking).

One of those Mondays where you really don't know how you got to work because you were asleep in traffic on the Beltway 8. Ugh.

I had a productive work day today and my boss really likes that.
You see, my boss is my future father-in-law.

Some friends of mine have joked with me that I am like Jacob in the bible working 7 years for his future father-in-law, Laban, to be able to marry Rachel.
Funny. Very funny, but not so.

I met up with my boss, my girl's dad after work because I wanted to talk to him about something important.
I went over to his house and told him that I loved Ruthie and it had been 5 years this month that I had asked him permission to date his daughter.

I remember him telling me that night that I better respect his daughter or he would bring out his gun... then he laughed. He was joking.
It was not funny to me.

You see, I've been dating the same girl non-stop for 5 years...
That is an accomplishment in this society, but I won't stop there.
We are nearing the time where I make the decision along with her to spend the rest of our lives together... and it gives me great joy.

Although, there has been pressure from everywhere to tie the knot, I know its one of the biggest decisions of my life and cannot take it lightly.
This marriage thing is for life, homie.

I asked for advice and he gladly gave it to me..
We talked about marriage... about money in marriage, about life in marriage, about owning a home and about other things.
It was a great afternoon for me, really.
I feel like there will sped up progress from now on. Hint hint.

I recommend you to check out this book by Voddie Baucham Jr. Its a really great resource for those that want to please their future in-laws... Since, it a good thing to do.
What He Must Be: ...If He Wants to Marry My Daughter.
Here is a summary of the book:

"All parents want their daughters to marry godly young men.
But which qualities, specifically, should they be looking for?
What will you say when that certain young man sits down in your
living room, sweaty-palmed and tongue-tied, and asks your permission
to marry your daughter? What criteria should he meet before the two
of them join together for life?
What He Must Be . . . If He Wants to Marry My Daughter outlines
ten qualities parents should look for in a son-in-law, including
trustworthiness, a willingness to lead his family, an understanding
of his wife's role, and various spiritual leadership qualities."

I am excited of reading through this book so I can learn a thing or two... or three..

I am finding myself not stuttering when I talk to my future father-in-law about me wanting to steal his daughter from him and keeping her for myself (in other words, marrying his daughter).
That's some progress. Hehe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro. Tony.. if yall been together that long and it's worked out, then it'll really work out once yall tie the knot!! My husband and I dated for 3yrs and then got married. It was an awesome experience and above it all, you know that person is gonna be a plus in your ministry.. what I mean is that you for sure already know that your other half is gonna pull the wagon with you 100% of the way serving the Lord! Good luck and many prayers and wishes for the both of yall :)

Sis. Marisol

Tony Villatoro said...

Thanks for your prayers, Marisol...