June 27, 2009

Where am I at in life?

I just hung up with a friend of mine that his words gave me goosebumps (or was it the cold a/c at Starbucks?)
He told me, "You need to stop talking about it and start doing it."

We started talking about Church Planting (one of my favorite topics).
He questioned me in a friendly way where was I at regarding the vision that I had..

I told him that I needed to get going with this work of planting a church..
He proceeded to tell me things that I had wondered aloud and was actually comforted by having someone else say them back to me.

He asked about what kind of church would it be..
He asked about where I would plant this church..
He asked me if it would be an English or Spanish congregation..
He talked about me getting "under a covering". In other words, selecting a pastor that I would be accountable to.

I shared all these things with him and my heart skipped a beat.. I tell you, it's certainly the best topic for me.
I read church planters blogs almost daily when I come home from work.
Sometimes on my way home, I stop at Barnes and Noble or Starbucks (to avoid traffic) and read books ranging in topics like church growth, church government, theology, how to launch a church..
I podcast guys "talks" at church planting conferences..
My life revolves around listening on how to take the gospel into the community.
And I still don't know how to do it. Hehe.. Ironic, I know.

Until it begins to make sense... I don't need to know how.
We have examples in the Bible of guys that did not know how to do what God had called them to do.
They did not have a clue.. At least I have books, blogs and conferences.
The only thing that they had was that powerful phrase, "The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" When they said that, everyone knew what was up.

Consider Exodus 3 when God shows up to this educated guy that grew up as a prince in the land of Egypt. He told him, "Say this to the people of Israel, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.'"
Moses felt unqualified at the start of his mission.
In verse 11, Moses expressed his doubts on this mission that God was sending him to do. He told God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?”

I've come to realize that I don't need to be perfect.
It's not about me.
It's not about having a large church.

Although some people tell me to get married, have a few kids, own a home, have 2 or 3 "good" cars, enjoy life a bit before I commit to starting a church, I am starting to despise that attitude.
I don't want to waste my life.

Yes, the character of the planter must be in check.
Yes, things need to be in order.
But, let's never take that position as an excuse to not do what God has called you to do.

I'll tell you what's in my heart.
Yes, I'll share it with the whole World wide Web.
I have wanted a little more money in my pocket.
I have wanted a little more stability in my life.
I have wanted a better car before I start a church..

As I read what I just wrote... it's laughable now.
I wonder if John the Baptist had a newer horse chariot when he ministered.
I wonder if Jesus was rich when he started his ministry.
Does having more material things equal to the loud voice of Jesus saying, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me?"

Don't take it too the other extreme... just think about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As person that has gone thought it himself, I feel as an expert in the subject matter.

You once asked me what was the method for church growth. I admit that after not seeing you for some time and suddenly out of no where you appear to ask this question was unexpected yet expected.

From my experience, I can tell you that the method or secret of church panning, church growth, and church outreach depends on YOU alone.
Here are three things I consider a must. I strongly believe if you don't have these 3 things you will fail.
I'm basing my conclusions on over 18 years of experience and about 8 or 9 pastors I have meet and help by becoming their right-hand also books, seminars, etc.

1. You must be prepared.
2. You must be ready to make the correct decisions always; no excuse. Everyone must come first before you, your ego, your wife, your family, and did I mention YOU.
3. You must have a core.

If you want to talk about it write to me after all I have is....

Tony Gamez
rev.josegamez@yahoo.com

Tony said...

Got it..
Thanks.

Unknown said...

Good points. I'm afraid point two (maybe I'm misunderstanding) is partially dangerous advise. While I do agree that other comes before you and your ego. Others do not come before your wife and family. If you are not a great husband and father first and/or Pastor to your family first, you cannot be a great Pastor to your church. If your family fails....you fail.