December 30, 2008

From distress to a living hope!

2008 has been a good year... and here comes 2009.
With only one day left, I reflect on the things that happened this year... and I also look to Jesus for guidance in this next year.
To tell you the truth, I am kind of confused.

My plans are not His plans. Hmmm.
I can strategize and plan, but at the end not be at peace with what is about to be done.
I'm in turmoil right now.. Its turbulent and I look to Jesus to calm the storm.

I repent.
Seriously, man, He feels so far away, but still feels so close that I can smile and be reassured that everything will be OK... one day.

My life as it is, is fine... its good.
I mean, I can have more, but I have everything I need.
I am learning that Jesus is all I need.

I can conform to this world and say:
-If I only had a little bit more money.
-If I only had a better car.
-If I only had a better house.
-If I only had more name brand clothes.
-If I only had more... more... more...

God, I repent for my foolishness and immaturity when I start to desire things that don't bring glory to you and only bring glory to me.

I hear the apostle Paul muttering these words while in a prison, writing to the Philippians, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"

How can a man having had everything and now had nothing wrote to the church like if he had everything?
He says in Philippians 4:11-13 "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

How can someone say all that while being beaten and put in jail?
Ahh, the glorious Jesus.
I tell you, when you recognize the beauty of Christ, you can say the same thing.

In my weakest moments, I turn to Christ on the cross and like that thief, I say, "Jesus, remember me... remember me."

Some may see this post somewhat depressing in such joyous times as the new year begins, but others may see that in this post, there is an abundance of humanity, sin and weakness in my part.

And also a hint of living hope... the hope that Peter wrote about in his first letter.
"According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead" I Peter 1:3b

I have that living hope...

No comments: