February 28, 2008

Who has known the mind of the Lord?

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?
Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be glory forever. Amen."
-Romans 11:33-36

I took a breadk from blogging for a very long time... a long time. So, here is what you have missed in my life. I have been listening to Matt Chandler, another one of my favorite preachers. He was preaching and he said something that was very interesting. I will be posting some of his preachings in text. You can find this on his church's website. Take a listen or a read. Whatever.

"We took our kids with us, and while we're driving down there, my four year old says, “Do you know where you're going?” And I made a blood covenant never to say this, but I almost said, “If I have to pull this car over...”
So, my wife just gets to chuckling. She was just laughing, and then she was like, “Well, do
you?” And I was like, “Woman, I'm on I-35. You just take it straight down.”
Then Audrey, “I think you're lost.”
“I think you're about to get a spanking.” Naw, I'm just kidding.
But it's kind of comical isn't it? Like, this is my four year old. She gets lost in the house. She really does...and we don't have a big house.
This is my four year old who freaks out if she ends up outside all by herself all of a sudden. This is a girl who has no sense of direction, who has no idea of which way to head to get anywhere, and she's in the back seat asking me, “Do you know where you're going? I think you're lost.”
I was like, “Well um, you can't spell your name. So, there's that.” Just kidding. I'll stop before someone turns me in.

He's like, “Are you serious? You're going to scrutinize how God governs?
Do you know how small you are?
Do you know how tiny your little brain is?
Do you know how inadequate you are to even grasp your own life?"

"You don't even understand what events brought you here today. You're going to scrutinize God?
You can't comprehend and figure out your own shortcomings, you own failures, why you're drawn to sin, why there are things that master you.
And yet, you'll scrutinize God?”

I mean he's like, “I mean, you can do it, but surely you're like the four year old girl in the car seat asking dad if he knows where he's going. Surely that's you're role then.” And listen, these next two verses, it's where God becomes very terrifying. And I know nobody wants God to be terrifying, we want Him to have wings and like a little star shiny thing and we want Him to just go, “Love for you and for everyone.”
And we kind of want to make Him like a fairy, like Tinker Bell from “Peter Pan.” We want Him
fluttering about, and we want to be able to give Him stuff and put Him in our debt. And we want to be able to control Him and say how He should govern, but let me tell you something. The God of the Bible isn't so much the one most of us learned about in Sunday school."

Wow. I just love it when he says that sometimes we, as God's creation, try to govern Him and tell Him that He does not know where He is going.
We don't even understand why we get caught up in our own mess.
We dont even understand why we feel the way we feel sometimes.
My God!

Let me finish like Paul finished the eleventh chapter of Romans
"To him be glory forever. Amen."

No comments: